March 06, 2005

A Faded Family History


Bedroom (Van Gogh)

“All happy families resemble each other; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” (Tolstoy, from Anna Karenina, 1877)

My zeide, bubbe, father, and two sisters, Golda and Basya came to America in 1922 from a small shtetl somewhere between Stolin and Dovid-Horodok. My zeide worked as a barrel maker back in the old country and began working as a rough carpenter, building new homes in both New York and Detroit, where our families seemed to have split their time. My zeide was a quiet man, and due to incompatibility issues, lived apart from his family for long periods of time. I did not know him well, he died when I was small, but I remember him sitting out on the porch, quietly reading the newspaper, learning mishnayos, and smoking that same pipe every morning, except Shabbos of course. My zeide contracted pneumonia and severe bronchitis as a child, and due to the scarring in his lungs, his breathing became belabored in the hot summer months in New York, and he would leave to work in Detroit, where we had mishpocho available to care for him if he became sicker. There were relatives and friends from Pinsk and Dovid-Horodok already settled in New York and Detroit. My zeide died while convalescing in Tuscon from a severe lung infection, and is buried there. I can imagine my zeide hoping for a hot Gehinnom to save his joints from hurting and there always being a fire handy to light his pipe. I hope they buried it with him.

My bubbe Chanah was never a happy woman. Not back in the shtetl and not here in America. My father was her only consolation in life, and I am told that she doted on her little ‘Yeshiya’ a bit longer than he was comfortable with. I remember my aunt Golda o’h, who my daughter Goldie is named for, telling me how jealous the girls were over the inordinate amount of attention that their baby brother was getting. Basya, the younger of the sisters and the middle child, held that resentment her whole life and I know that her relationship with the rest of the family remained distant and strained for some time. She eventually married an American-born furrier and moved to Scranton, where she mothered several cousins for me, only two of whom I have ever met. I don’t even know if she is still alive. It’s time to pick up a phone maybe.

Bubbe Chana was the stern matriarch who made it seem as if my zeide had married too high above his own lowly status. I know absolutely nothing about her family life before coming to America, except that her father was a merchant and talmid chochom from Pinsk. There was one sister that left Europe and settled in Montreal. I met her once, and I think her daughters were not religious at all. In either case, Bubbe Chana was feared by everyone, and if she spoke, you jumped. She refused to speak English, Hebrew, or Russian, reserving what sparse words she did speak for the Mama Loshen and the harsh critique of the grandson who reminded her too much of her late husband, in habits and demeanor. Looking back, I think my father may have shielded me from her for that reason. Bubbe Chana died in 1973.

Golda, on the other hand was the soft and gentle touch of the entire family, and no one could resist her warmth and loving presence for long. Aunt Golda married late, but she married well, and in spite her being a Russian and he a Hungarian, the marriage seemed happy, even though they unfortunately never had any children. I spent a great deal of my childhood in their home, and along with the cherished memories of my step-mother, the recollections of baking cookies and sneaking the fresh ones past my uncle Mendele still sends warm ripples up my spine. Mendele had a study in the back of his house and, in the evenings, he’d sit in a big tattered armchair that his mother had brought to America from Cluj, and he’d light one of those cigars, and open a sefer. I remember taking an old sidur off the shelf to daven from and the smell of stale tobacco pouring out from inside it.

Aunt Golda was not only a yiras shamayim and a ba’alas chased, but she was educated, too. Her Yiddish was very precise and very ‘Litvak’, unlike my father, who wasn’t much concerned for Dikduk in die Mama Loshen, and spoke however he grew up speaking, Golda thought it a matter of honor to master any language she was required to speak, this being in line with her elegant style and poise. There was a downside, however. At home, my Uncle and Aunt spoke English to each other because early on, when they first met, my Uncle spoke to her in the typical sing-song all-the-words-garbled-together Hingarishe Yiddish, and she began laughing uncontrollably at the sound of it. Uncle Mendel was a promising violinist, but when his mother died, he never played again. I think he was a momma’s boy, and treated my Aunt with the same deference and respect one might give a mother rather than a wife. He showed me the violin once, but refused to either play for me or teach me how to play. Something painful came with that instrument, and I will never know what that was. Uncle Mendel said that he had a sister somewhere in America and another still in Europe, but there must have been little or no contact between them. Uncle Mendel passed on in 1983, and Golda soon thereafter.

There were a lot of secrets in my family and too much shielding the younger generations from hearing bad things about the mishpocho. My mother’s family is much the same way. Is this a good thing? Or am I just nosy? One would think I had a right to know, but then again, I don’t share every gory detail of my life with them either.

I don’t even know why I am thinking of these things right now. Maybe I was thinking about how much I’d like to share these few tidbits of meaningless history with my own children. Who knows? These things are so far back in the past. My family is not one for photographs and heirlooms, and what few I did have are now lost or destroyed by my ex-wife when we divorced. I left some of my father’s seforim to a cousin of mine for safekeeping when I left the derech, and I’m sure those are in good hands. Thinking back, I probably should have rented a place for all those little memories. I look around me and think that I might the be beginning and the end of something, with no past and no future to speak of. It feels weird.

8 Comments:

At 7:12 PM , Blogger AMSHINOVER said...

I was sitting at a pidyon haben last week, for Rabbi Dishon's great-grandson, it was as you can well imagine a real stoliner get together.I decided due in part to your post "laugh" to sit with the boys,it is a week later and my heart still hums with the subtle glee you spoke of.Thank you.

 
At 10:47 AM , Blogger Vilda Chaya said...

I was wondering about what you meant a few posts ago, or maybe it was in a comment, when you mentioned, "whatever derech I wind up chosing" or something along those lines, and now here you are talking how this might be the begining and the end of something. Am I missing something? Have you written about it already and I am just dense? I am curious. Are you thinking about going back in some capacity? What is going on for you? If you want to share, that is.

 
At 3:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eemie,

Here is the cursed thing -- you're off the derech but you're on the derech. You're off the derech, because you try to think for yourself, be a "free-thinker". But you're still on the derech, because though you are a free-thinker, the things you think about are still from Judaism. So what does that make you? It's a lonely place, but thank God for the internet and blogging, it turns out there are other peopel out there suffering from similar insanities, we find each other and so maybe can try to build something or other.

Judaism has a long history of people who were off the derech but on the derech. Shlomo will be the first one to tell you that Spinoza was one such important Jew. So you would think, Spinoza was so long ago, it would be easier by now. But it's not. Why? "What has been -- that will be; and what has been done, will be done -- for there is nothing new under the sun." The very nature of trying to be a free-thinker means that you struggle with ideas, you try to express yourself, etc.

It also has to do with your personality. Certain personality types certainly make things more difficult than they have to be. I'm trying to work on that, but who knows how it will turn out.

Well, that's the end of my little rant for now. :-)

 
At 6:53 AM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

AMI ????? Can it be? How and where have you been? There are many bloggers asking about you. Shalom Aleychem Chaver!

Eemie,

What Ami shared here is true, but its more personal than that also. It is about the derech, and its about something deeper; my own sense of belonging. I have always had a outcast's view of life, always some kind of small dissent, and now I'm looking back on the personal costs of that perspective. My indifference to the little things that most people cherish has left me without the keepsakes that remind one of family and friends. I also believe that some of the issues of my childhood, many of those expressed here in the blog, contributed a great deal to that.

That was the past. I made the mistake, though I had lots of help making it, of allowing a future to slip away, too, not realizing until it was too late how much the past and future play into our present.

I am left in a limbo of sorts.
It is neither good or bad, wrong or right, but if my happiness is dependent upon breaking this pattern, then I think it's time to get off my tuchis and do something about it.

Your question was a great one, and I appreciate the intuitive nature of your comments.

Kol Tuv

 
At 12:29 PM , Blogger Vilda Chaya said...

I realize my question could be taken as an oversimplification of a complex situation. These situations are always much more nuanced then I can usually explain them, so I just try and I hope I get my point across.

It sounded to me like you were deciding between two (possibly more) mutually exclusive (maybe not, maybe you can combine them, there is often a way) ways of being. It seems to me that you are feeling that you left things behind when you "dumped your religion" all those years ago, and you are starting to realize that there was stuff in there worth saving, and you want to find a way to get it back.

Alternatively, I am just projecting my own situation on to you. But, I don't think so. Anyway, I hope that you get back what you are looking for, both the physical objects, and whatever aspects of Yiddishkeit have value to you.

 
At 2:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shlomo!

It's been months. Quite a long time by internet standards. I sent you an email which I suspect you didn't receive because of spam filters. Well, I'm not spam; not by a long shot. :) Anyway, since I assume you didn't receive it, I'll say some of the same thigns here.

It's very kind of you to consider me to be your chaver. I really didn't realize that anyone would miss me that much. But I did need to take a bit of a break.

Blogs are great in the beginning -- when you have lots of ideas and they are all trying to get out of your head at once. But then you realize that, despite all these ideas, things aren't going anywhere in particular. So I've decided to work on things in a more targeted way -- project by project.

My current project is the Passover Haggadah. You remember it from around this time last year. I've made some improvements, made it look nicer, and made it available for download.

For my next project, I certainly want to finish up my criticism of the Oral Torah. It's already basically done, as you remember. Just have to edit it and make it look nice. I thought about it, and I plan to call it "Vanity of vanities - הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים".

Perhaps after that's done, it will become Volume I, and I might have something to say about the Tanakh in the next volume? But that's too ambitious, we'll see.

I'm sorry that my blog went down. But something good did come out of it. I'm glad that you decided to start your own blog -- it is absolutely wonderful. As always, lots of good, thoughtful articles.

I also see that you are building a community, which is great. That's what is missing, a community. I think you will have more success at it than I did, since my writing tended to be a bit terse.

I don't plan to be as active in blogging on a daily basis, but I certainly hope to look through your blog now and then.

Shalom!

 
At 4:17 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Ami,

Never underestimate your influence. Many of those who enjoyed your site before were inspiried to break out on their own.

The greatest friends are those who inspire without knowing or claiming credit for doing so. Let me know if there is anyway that I can help with your blog and, if time allows, I would be honored to be a part of it again, though help from me would be redundant, as you do so well on your own.

Kol Tuv

 
At 4:17 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Ami,

Never underestimate your influence. Many of those who enjoyed your site before were inspiried to break out on their own.

The greatest friends are those who inspire without knowing or claiming credit for doing so. Let me know if there is anyway that I can help with your blog and, if time allows, I would be honored to be a part of it again, though help from me would be redundant, as you do so well on your own.

Kol Tuv

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home