November 01, 2005

Reb Shtreimel

During my short break from blogging, it seems that my good friend Reb Shtreimel decided to rejoin the ranks of the holy faithful. I was asked to comment about this turn of events, and I will do so. Let me preface by saying there is no sense of victory or defeat in terms of whether or not Reb Shtreimel, or anyone else for that matter, stays Orthodox or joins me on Yom Kippur morning for a bacon-and-eggs breakfast. I take no joy in hearing of the turmoil that I went through in my own spiritual reassessment being lived now by others. It is a painful catharsis. I am happy he has made a decision.

Reb Shtreimel broke some rules along the way and neglected some others. That’s perfectly human. The only thing that differentiates Reb Shtreimel from everyone else in his community is that he wrote about it and shared his feelings and ideas with others. For every Reb Shtreimel who displays the courage, albeit anonymously, to tell us what he is thinking and feeling, there are dozens if not hundreds who feel the same and suffer silently, passing that frustration out onto their families, their business partners, and others. There are others, whose inner machinations drive them into drug use, sex addiction, or even worse because they had nowhere to vent their pent up doubts and feelings. The psychosocial processes of the religious Jews are the same as with anyone else; we only label them in a different language and context.

Does anyone know how incredibly difficult it becomes to hide something that those close to you must never find out? It takes a great deal of planning to keep secrets, lies, and your own troubles from bubbling to the surface and out of earshot or eyeshot of those who are watching you. It is exhausting work to live a double life. Unless you are a sadistic bastard who takes pleasure from lying to others in order to see just what you can get away with, there is no joy in the effort involved. Reb Shtreimel is an honest man with honest feelings. The subterfuge had to be tough on him.

His world has expectations of him. He has ultimately chosen to live by their values, because above all, he values them above all else. His contrition is the surrender to what he really values most, and it is an unselfish and pure act of Love. I hope someday that I can thank him personally for stimulating so many hearts and minds through his open frankness. I gained a great deal from our exchanges and I will miss them.

Ehr zoll vehren gebensht mit glick, mit nachass, und mit shalom.

Kol Tuv

“There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.” (Nelson Mandela, from 'A Long Walk to Freedom')

8 Comments:

At 6:44 PM , Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I have often wondered about Shtreimel and what he must go through each day.

 
At 8:42 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

RebElmo,

You may be right. He considers the world around him and mainly his family. They are what he loves, even more than the freedom that awaits him out here.

I can't tell you if his teshuva is sincere or not. I only hope he is happy.

 
At 10:57 PM , Blogger smb said...

In responce to what you wrote to me,

I'm sorry for what you went through.

I wish you love, hatzlacha and joy in life

 
At 7:07 AM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

I don't think he is going back to being the true believer he was (or wasn't) before. He is doing it because the double life drives him nuts, and the only choice he has, is to do what's best for his family. THAT is the love I'm speaking of.

It's all a maybe anyhow. I agree. Shtreimel is no dummy. He'll be fine.

LOL@ 'ayn shum yiush b'olam' bumper stickers.

 
At 2:00 PM , Blogger M-n said...

I agree with nearly everything you wrote, but I think you overestimate the peace he'll find.

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Mis-Nagid,

Good to see you! You're probably right. I remember making one last effort to stay frumm, albeit modernishe, and it was absolute Gehinnom.

Kol Tuv

 
At 2:04 AM , Blogger BTA said...

"He can just play the part and make the sacrifice for his family while losing his sanity."

I've been there, with the exception that I have a great wife and she stuck with me and helped me continue to figure a way out of this BT mess! I don't think shtreimel is done vacillating. The "resolution" is great drama for the blog, but once a doubter, always a doubter.

There are no "answers." OJ just sits better with some than others.

Anyway, at least he's asking questions as are most of you.

Rav Socrates said it best: "The unexamined life is not worth leading."

 
At 10:56 AM , Blogger B. Spinoza said...

>Rav Socrates said it best: "The unexamined life is not worth leading."

the flip side of that coin is "Ignorance is bliss"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home