February 20, 2006

Am I Happy?

John Stuart Mill said “Ask yourself whether you are happy and you cease to be so.” I came across this quote when reading the bibliography of another book I’m browsing, and ever since then, the truth of Mill’s words have been slowly, but surely, ringing true to me and, simultaneously, wringing yet another truth from me.

Humans have the unique ability to peer forward and back in time so far that we fall out of touch with our present; so much so, in fact, that fears or worries of future consequences stifle our living. Be it fear of loneliness, death, disliked relatives, or nuclear war, we humans find any number of ways to shield ourselves from feeling at peace. My cat has a good memory as well, and her experiences shape her interaction with certain person she trusts, others she doesn’t at present, and some that she never will. I doubt, however, that she somehow sits alone in the house worried sick should ever one of the latter two come to visit, nor is she devising any intricate proactive strategy to deter their comings.

I’m learning how to be like this cat a little more each day. I come home from a long day at work and she runs to the door mewing, clawing, and acting silly. My frustration disappears when she greets me, no matter what has occurred in my time away from her. It is more than just about her animal innocence. It’s her simplicity. She never asks if she’s happy, if I’m happy, if you’re happy, etc., because she doesn’t know what ‘happy’ means. She doesn’t have an active sense of ‘unhappiness’ gnawing at her psyche. I also don’t know what the word ‘happy’ means, so why can’t I be so simple?

We can look up the definition of any word, but using words to describe another word leads to the need for more words to explain how those words relate to the word you first wished to define. We have a common understanding of most words we use based upon their practical function, and for the sake of expediency we don’t stand around the gas pump arguing whether the ‘gas’ we wish to pump is gasoline derived from crude oil or gas derived from a few too many burritos and beer. ‘Happy’, on the other hand, is a word many people spend a great of their lives agonizing over, both in defining and finding it somehow, someway.

Happiness isn’t always attached to pleasure. Some find their pleasure in self-denial. Some believe that the ‘agonizing’ is our raison d’etre, and have constructed intricate paradigms and philosophies around its effects. I’m a practical sort of person. Maybe I’ll stop using the word ‘happy’ altogether, and see what comes of it. It is likely that one would stop seeing in terms of self, but in terms of the thing itself one is observing. It’s this ‘detachment’ from reflexive personal judgments that perhaps leads to the peace of mind so often associated with happiness.

Buddhism offers us Four Noble Truths. The First Truth states that “there is agonizing.” I know this one well. Mill’s words offer the source of this ‘agonizing’. Every time we ask ourselves if we are ‘happy’, we ratchet up our level of unhappiness to newer heights (or depths as it were), leaving more inquiry and leading us away from that simplicity that so exemplifies the ridiculously silly and moody Calico curled up in a ball at the foot of my futon. Just watching her sleep makes me drowsy.

"I exist as I am, that is enough.
If no other in the world be aware I sit content,
and if each and all be aware I sit content."
(W. Whitman, from Song of Myself)

3 Comments:

At 12:00 AM , Blogger Almost Cinderella said...

You bring up a lot of interesting points, Shlomo. Sometimes our acceptance of things as they are proves superior than fantasizing about having a nicer lawn--i.e. the grass is greener in the neighbors' backyard (of course as you said it's because they water it ;)
I have faced this same question in terms of my work as a nurse. I would say the view from "content" is a nicer place to be than the elusive, unreachable star called "happy". Maybe the word "acceptance" has entered my point of view somehow because happy is just too difficult to define.
Months ago, I was seriously ready to say *sayonara* to the nursing field altogether. I complained about the terrible situation at the hospital, how management is always ruining a good pie by sticking their thumb in it. I had the dilemma of how don't want to step backward in my skills, yet I don't appreciate the stress of being pulled like a taffy. Today, I look at my work and say, I want to become even more experienced, learn all I can, and do my job even better regardless of what's raining down from the top. Hence I must find that "happy" medium.
In a nutshell, I want my cake...and I want to eat it too (and don't forget the icing :)

 
At 11:22 AM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Shayna,

Well said!

I asked a woman friend of mine long ago if she was 'happy' with our relationship, and she answered in a rather cool way, "I'm not UNhappy." At the time, I felt that to be quite a shock to my ego. I had thought that she was with me because I made her happier than she would be otherwise. I was stuck then in defining 'happy' as some euphoric state. I took her statement of content as a sign that she was dissatisfied with me and broke it off.

I still believe that happiness is tied to pleasure but not dependent on it. Pleasure can lead you in the right direction. Contentment is probably part happiness anyhow. After all, her 'contentment' was based in the old adage "If it's not broken don't fix it."

I'm not afraid to say that I'm still a little confused by life and love and happiness and success or whatever else goes on. I'd like to imagine myself somewhere and with someone for a time, wherein I don't have any thoughts of being anywhere else. Maybe'living in the moment', no?

Kol Tuv

 
At 1:24 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

"I'd like to imagine myself somewhere and with someone for a time, wherein I don't have any thoughts of being anywhere else."

Shlomo, that has to be just about the best definition of happiness that I've come across. Now, whether that state is possible is another question entirely!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home