February 27, 2006

Kvetch 22


com·plain

1. To express feelings of pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment.

2. To make a formal accusation or bring a formal charge.

When I was a small boy, I was very moody, even moreso than I am today. I wasn’t vocal about my pain or how I felt. After all, I was just a child, and I thought that every child, it seemed, probably had the same troubles. I was always being told how to feel by others. No matter how miserable I felt, every query as to my well-being was to be answered with a hearty “Baruch haShem!” I was just following orders.

One nondescript afternoon, I was sitting by the window, staring out into nowhere special in particular, when my Tante Golda o’h, noticing something amiss in her quiet, reticent nephew that he could not see in himself, came over to me and said “If you don’t complain, no one will ever know that you’re hurting.” I have never forgotten that lesson, though I admit, I haven’t always been as outspoken as circumstances demanded.

Now my father o’h was not quite as sensitive as his older and more educated sister. When my father used the word ‘kvetch’, it was generally in the context of shutting down any opinion that disagreed with his own views or tastes. Many people still use the “stop complaining’ tactic to shut down dissent by painting those who dissent as nothing more than cry-babies or whiners. It is always easier for those in power to squash dissent than to address the issues head on.

That’s not to say that complaining is always justified or proper in and of itself. Both complaint and response should be evaluated as to their respective merits. It's a two-way street. I have a childhood story that illustrates this clearly.

My father was an electrician. After several break-ins and thefts from his work truck, he decided, rightly so, that the best way to protect his investment was to unload the contents of the truck each night to avoid having them stolen. I don’t know when exactly this decision was made, but I was soon enlisted to help perform this task. I fully resented it at the time. While my friends and cousins were enjoying a few minutes of playtime or getting an early jump on their homework, I was spending up to 45 minutes each day lugging tools or supplies up from and down to our basement from the street. Naturally, I complained.

(A gentile customer of my father’s suggested a novel approach that was eventually adopted. That is another story.)

Many years later, it came to my knowledge that my father had suffered from severe and almost debilitating arthritis in his legs, and every day for him was sheer agony, especially in the winters. Did my father ever complain about his condition? Did he ever explain to me why it was that he was so much in need of my assistance? No. Had I known I may still have not liked my chores, but at least I would have understood why he was so adamant about having me do this chore, and my level of discomfort in doing it would have disappeared, or at least been minimized.

In light of the knowledge of my father’s daily suffering, I still have regrets over my complaints. However, my regret over my father’s inability or unwillingness to complain or share with me his pain is much stronger. I thought my chores were some sort of punishment or maybe worse. His silence caused me to needlessly resent him, where perhaps a short, sympathetic, and open conversation would have alleviated all the aforementioned traumas. I have no doubt, looking back, that bearing pain in silence and then inflicting it upon others, was a long and deep family tradition. If one refuses to share their pain then, as my Tanta Golda would say “No one will ever know that you are hurting”, and consequently would assume the motivations to be either cruel or capricious.

Contrary to the nonsense hyped by authoritarians and tyrants of all kinds, complaining is productive, and it is doing something when those receiving the complaints are willing to evaluate those concerns and respond. Imagine going to your doctor in pain or discomfort, seeking healing, and him telling you to stop complaining! Envision a police detective, counseling a crime victim to stop whining and accept their fate. Picture a parent ignoring the cries of a hurt child. Now imagine the consequences. The cycle of doubt, internalized anger, and petty hatred continues.

The secret is how to complain productively, and that has proven troublesome. In politics, it becomes a game of who to complain to, and how exactly to garner their attention. Currently, we have a government that abides by the rule of “money talks and bullshit walks”, where everything comes down to financing and ‘elect-ability’, which is loosely translated as “has enough clout to generate lots of campaign funding.” It seems that to get your way with government, you have to buy it.

In lieu of sending massive amounts of cash which, by the way, I don’t have, I channel my efforts onto writing editorials, blogging, chatting with others, researching pertinent information, voting, and letting my Congresspersons know where I stand on the issues. I cannot force them to do anything. I can only hope they see the rationale of my claim and accede to its merits. If they refuse to do so, and I assure you they do, I have no recourse but to vote against them in the next election cycle.

Now, I am only one man, and not a brilliant one either, but there are hundreds of thousands who share my ideals to one extent or the other, and the only way we find each other is through complaining out loud so we communicate and join forces. When Samuel Adams and Thomas Paine were distributing leaflets ‘complaining’ about George III, it was that very dissent that rallied others of similar opinion and mind to their cause. Like the revolutionaries of 1775, today’s ‘complainers’ do get organized. I am among those who help that process.

We cannot have it both ways. We cannot have a society that sits silently when in pain and then expect that society to grow and produce civilized and enlightened citizens. There is a time to be Stoic, to go through the motions and do what must be done, but there is also a time for outcry, outrage, and vocal dissent when wrongs, perceived or real, are committed by those in power. We cannot be submissively silent and remain free at the same time.

Those in power seek to place the governed in a precarious predicament. If we don’t complain, they won’t think that we think anything is wrong, and if we do, they wish to discourage those complaints by insulting or stigmatizing those who speak out. Basically, they are complaining about our complaining.

Damned if we do, damned if we don’t. A Kvetch-22. No?

9 Comments:

At 2:54 PM , Blogger kasamba said...

WELL SAID!!!
People are not mind readers, so if you don't tell them how you feel about something- they ain't gonna know!
If you don't complain (albeit respectfully) you get nowhere.

 
At 9:38 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

SL:

I believe that our lifes would have so much more depth and meaning, if we stop being afraid to speak our minds, to say it as it is, The biggest problam is that everyone waits for someone else to do it, some give them self reasonable excuses why they are not the one speaking up, telling them self's I'll stay quiet, what I have to say won't count, I'm not that important, I wont make a difference, people think small of them selfs, unworthy to complain unworthy to make a difference,
some are afraid what everyone else will think, there fear keeps them in the dark, hiding out somewhere.

I belive each person has so much potential & power with in them self's, they them selfs might not even know it.

What is it that makes us less powerful? than those who have powerful jobs, money, or wealth?
when you think small you are small.

 
At 11:11 AM , Blogger Almost Cinderella said...

"If we don’t complain, they won’t think that we think anything is wrong, and if we do, they wish to discourage those complaints by insulting or stigmatizing those who speak out"

I loved this article, and especially this line. I'm writing from a southern state that hasn't quite gotten "labor laws" solidified in their legal vocabulary or list of priorities yet (kidding ;)
In my field, I noticed nurses like to kvetch and bemoan our working conditions habitually. (I'm sure we're not alone ;) Yet our roundtable *discussions* amongst ourselves rarely accomplish a thing! Sometimes confronting managers/administrators doesn't even prove any more effective. If nothing ever gets done, hopefully we can move on to greener pastures or cakes with more icing (...i.e. transfer floors!) and at least they'll know WHY we have.

I'd rather be stigmatized and start an uprising than be exploited and raked over the coals while doing my damndest for others. I'm sure I'm not alone

 
At 1:13 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Greatfull,

I don't mind being small. I don't mind being treated as if I am small. After all, small is what I seek to be. (This is not a weight joke.)

What I resent is being treated as if I am nothing, or less than nothing. That I am a small man, with small ambitions (if any), with a small home, and a small income does not give anyone the right to treat me or anyone else as if I don't matter.

The Constitution of the United States and our system of representative democracy demand that each citizen matter equally under the law. Our leaders took an oath to uphold this tenet.

(The concept of 'smallness' deserves a post of its own.)

 
At 4:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

If small is what one seeks to be, than small he will be,
when others tell you that your nothing that does not nacassarly make you a nothing.

I beleive you are what you are, by what you create of your self to be.
nothing can stand in the way of a persons determination.

Being small is not nacassarly a good or bad thing, its how you choose to make your self feel, that matters.

 
At 6:36 PM , Blogger Hoezentragerin said...

"(A gentile customer of my father’s suggested a novel approach that was eventually adopted. That is another story.)"

If my memory is worth anything, the suggestion was for your father to hang a cross in his truck.

Oiy, no wonder you left Yiddishkiet :)

 
At 11:31 PM , Blogger The Jewish Freak said...

Beautiful, heartfelt post suddenly turns political. The story of the individual is the story of all humanity. I can hear politics on the radio, but this is the only place in the world that tells about SL.

 
At 10:56 AM , Blogger FrumGirl said...

So true. My parents had a tendency of keeping things bottled up and so that is what I learned to do... but BH i have found it is very unhealthy. If you don't speak up, your voice will not be heard. No one can read your mind.

 
At 3:35 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Kiddush,

I never had the beytzim to confront my father nor did I wish to cause him undue pain and suffering. I didn't drop the facade until after he passed on. I figured I had let him down enough already by not becoming Gadol HaDor or at least very wealthy. What a disappointment I must have been to him.

Losing my father's love was no big deal. If he loved me he never said so, and when he did speak, it was endless and useless criticism.

Losing a child's love is much harder. I cannot tell you how important it is to decide which way to go BEFORE you have children. In the real world, parents who divorce and go their separate spiritual ways don't lose as much as the Jew who leave Yidishkeit AND his wife at the same time. A religious ex wife will make sure her now non-frum exhusband never sees his children again, usually with the help of the entire kehilla. Screw every last one of those machsheyfas, and the two-faced self-righteous assholes that encourage them.

I'm glad you joined us in Golus!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home