January 24, 2005

Book Review: Recollections & Letters of Robert E. Lee


Compiled by Capt. Robert. E. Lee. ISBN 0-914427-66-0 (Konecky & Konecky)

“It is well that war is so terrible – lest we should grow too fond of it.” (To James Longstreet, 1862)

You are probably wondering at this point what on Earth possessed me to read (and review) a book on a dead Confederate general. Why would any Jew be interested in that? Well, if you don’t know me by now, then you better read more of this blog. I have a wide range of interests, and one of those is the history of the Antebellum and Confederate South.

My interest in Southern history was first piqued in my late teens when I came across a Jewish Publication Society book called “They Were Jews.” The subjects of this anthology were famous Jewish personalities from all walks of life, and one of those notable Israelites was Judah P. Benjamin, a lawyer considered by both Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee to be the “brains” of the Confederacy. In fact, Benjamin was responsible for finance and diplomatic ventures; no small task for an emerging nation at war. There were several other Jews serving in the Confederate government as well. In light of what we are commonly taught about pre-war southern bigotry, this was an amazing piece of information. This was my entry into the fascinating world of Southern American history. (I have also read many of the writings of Jefferson Davis, and would have to quit my job to find time for all of them.)

My intent is not to write a biography of General Lee; there are enough of those already. This collection of writings and letters was compiled by his son, Captain Robert E., and shows a side of the ‘Old Man’ that most history texts don’t have time to offer. We see from his letters devotion to family, to principle, critical thinking skills, his desire for peace over war, reconciliation, sympathy, and kindness. A man comes into view who is not merely a great military strategist, but a kind husband, loving father, and erudite classical scholar; the warrior being the least of what General Lee wished for himself, being ever reluctant to engage in confrontation when diplomacy and kind words could solve a crisis through amicable agreement.

There are parts where General Lee reminisces about an old dog or horse that he is reminded of in a daydream. There are pieces of nostalgia that bring tears to one’s eyes reading them, and others that make you laugh out loud. The quality of his writing is a prose unmatched by many who deem themselves masterful poets. The General’s wide range of interests and communications are quite amazing. Many of those within Lee’s wide circle were also persons of character, learning, and principle.

I also felt something in common with the General that I did not expect. He and I share a favorite book, and he, too, kept a copy with him on his travels. It seems that the General was fond of ‘Thoughts of Marcus Aurelius’, and was editing a translation for an English philosophy professor. The General’s letters are often laced with Latin phrases, so bring a dictionary.

It has been said that Robert E. Lee was the true ‘gentleman soldier’. I have no doubt that much is true. From his personal letters, however, we now know him as much, much more.

This is a good read only if you have the interest beforehand. It can get tedious reading other people’s letters, so if you are going to try, take a few breaks from it along the way. This book offers both a more comprehensive picture of the man and the times in which he lived. A must read for American history enthusiasts.

5 Comments:

At 2:42 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

SL, have you seen the film Gods and Generals? I have not, but from the reviews I've read it's supposed to provide a pretty authentic, non-Hollywood view of the Civil War.

 
At 12:36 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Tamara,

I have only caught bits and pieces of it. I thought the beards (of all things) looked a bit contrived. I have heard good reviews of it also.

 
At 2:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shmuel,

Your Cliff notes were great!

Do you know anything about an obscure Jewish banker by the name of Haym Salomon, who lived in the mid 1800's in Philadelphia? He is credited with helping finance the Revolutionary War by contributing his own money, as well as raising funds with wealthy European Jews to the Confederates. His interactions with bills of exchange kept the United States Bank afloat during the USA's infancy. At one point, he was thrown in jail by the British for treason, of which he managed to escape. Later, he was appointed Cashier of the Bank of the United States. There seems to be very little written about him, although I think his life and times are fascinating. There is an urban myth related to how his efforts on behalf of the United States were rewarded by George Washington placing the Star of David on all dollar bills, although I can only see a 5-pronged star there.

Do you (or anyone reading this) know more about Haym Salomon? I would love to find out more about this very interesting Jew, but reading history books is just not my thing.

Enigma4u2004@yahoo.com

 
At 4:56 PM , Blogger Hoezentragerin said...

Hi.
My name is Haym Salomon.
I was born in Poland. it was a pretty place, but soon I had to run away.
I came to America, and I became a true American patriot.
Ha, what fools the British were.
I tricked them so well, they never knew they were tricked.
Of course I was called Haym.
Goyim can't pronounce a "Ches."
But it didn't matter to me.
I fought for freedom so that today we can all be proud Jews in the free country of America.

That was 9 year old me in the 4th grade.
My teacher had me memorize that little rant, dress up like a colonial, and present to the class.
There actually was a whole chapter in the history book dedicated to him.
What I remember other than what you have already written, is that he died a pauper having given up his last penny to save the fledgling nation.

 
At 6:41 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

HT,

That's amazing how you can remember that. All I can remember of 4th grade is wanting it to end.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home