July 03, 2005

A Reader Bears His Soul

This is a letter received from an anonymous Boro Park resident via e-mail. I promised to maintain his anonymity, so parts of the letter have been edited out. I think he speaks for many of those, including myself, who were unhappy with the base materialism that forces the average Jew to spend well beyond his means for arbitrary social niceties, where Halacha does not require such extreme expenditures.

His words are italicized.

Hope all is well. I really enjoy your blog, and would like to tell you my story. My name is **** ********** and I live in Boro Park. I moved to BP from Brighton Beach. My dream was to live in a heimishe neighberhood. As you can tell from my last name that I am a 'chassidishe einekel'. Although I was brought up 'modern-chareidi' and went to yeshivashe schools, I appreciated and longed for the 'varmth' of the chassidishe world. In 1974 I went to Israel to search for the 'Holy Grail'. During that summer, I went to all types of yeshivas as diverse as Ohr Somayach and Toldos Aharon (Reb Ahrelech).

I ended up in the Breslov Yeshiva in Jerusalem. There was an American Breslover rabbi (he was clean-shaven) who was teaching American yeshiva boys. I flipped head over heals for Breslov. The main reasons were as follows: a. I was able to dress the way I wanted (nobody pressured you to change) b. Reb Nachman’s teaching to be b'simcha all the time, and c) the humility of the Breslovers and the emphasis that god desires a broken heart – “lev nishba vnidca elohim lo sivza.”

Well, I moved to BP in 1987 and started davening in the Breslov Shul on 16 Av. Many chassidim from Israel who were collecting for Hachnassas Kalla davened in the shtiebel. I got very close to one of the older Israeli chassidim and offered to help him collect on Purim night. As we were driving around, I asked him if he was close to having all the expenses for the wedding. His answer was that all of the expenses were, thank G-d, taken care of except for the matonos (gifts). So I asked him B'tmimus (like the tamavate that I was), “You mean getting a Shas and a new Talis for your future son-in-law, right?” He looked at me like I was from the planet Mars and answered that he has to get that plus cuff-links, menorah for Chanuka, Megilla for Purim, fancy Esrog box for Sukkas etc. etc. ad nauseum.

I was very depressed that evening. What kind of a mentally-challanged society do we have that can do this to a poor g'preigelte Yid ????

I then started looking outside the religion, and have found many non-Jewish and non-religious friends. I plan to tell my wife next week that I am not religious anymore. I don't know how she will react or if I will be telling my children. I am working with a therapist and taking things one step at a time. I have so much more to say but I think that's it for now.

Please feel free to discuss these issues on your blogs (as long as you keep my anonymity).

Wishing you both the very best’

I remember being in the same situation when I was a chosson. My personal tastes gravitate toward the simple and uncommon. For me to be carrying around the same farputzde tallis zekel or esrog box as everyone else would be degrading, so I exempted my future shverr from purchasing anything of that nature for me. He did purchase a Shas for me, but I exchanged it for a Kehasi Mishnayos and a couple extra tallis kotons. I already had a well-worn Shas of my own, filled with notes and questions along the margins. I still shop for myself and really dislike it when others shop for me without my consent. I’d prefer to spend my own money and be happier with the purchase. I was already very much put off by the commonality and materialism the engulfed my chaverim and the insistence of their future wives on amenities and luxuries these guys couldn’t possibly afford.

There are all this little ‘minhagim’ that the rich can do because they are rich. The rest of us try our damnedest to mimic them, going through all kinds of twists and turns to look like we have something to show off. Why must a family go into debt or have to beg when the Torah does not require that kind of expense? What kind of lazy schnorrer is this fellow’s daughter going to marry that he can’t even pick out his own tallis zekkel? Or that he insists that such insane demands be met? Should the man not be man enough to purchase his own Megillah? Cufflinks? Where in Shulchan Aruch is that required? Have we gone mad?

I agree with the writer, though I don’t think this is a valid excuse to run off from Yiddishkeit altogether. About 90% of the world is phony anyhow. There isn’t much truth in advertising anywhere. Mr. ***** ******, as much as I echo his sentiments, should simply find those people who are truly sincere, associate with them, and ignore the others. That is hard work no matter what religion or philosophy one follows, but it’s worth losing a million fair-weather acquaintances in order to gain one good friend.

There are so many sincere, honest, and truly spiritual people in Boro Park and everywhere else. Not everyone is so materialistic, even when many in the community seem to worship it. The people that feel they have to “keep up with the Halberstams” or need to put on a show, should be welcome to do so, but please Reb ****** ****! Do not blame Yiddishkeit for the problem. It’s not exclusive to Judaism.

To live content with small means, to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion. To be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich, to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly, to listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart, to bear all cheerfully, do all bravely, await occasions, hurry never, in a word to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common, this is to be my symphony.” (William Henry Channing)

10 Comments:

At 6:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

voz is dayn chiddush?

 
At 7:02 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Vart tzu a bissel. Vert baldt kummen.

 
At 9:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Readers, remind me. Where did I first read this letter? Was it the Country Yossi? Or was it a traveling email?

 
At 10:17 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Rita,

I received it in an email a few months ago. I'm sure that I wasn't the only blogger to receive it.

Who is "Country Yossi?"

 
At 2:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

> What kind of a mentally-challanged society do we have that can do this to a poor g'preigelte Yid ????

Yes, the society is a problem. But a society is made up of individuals. Why can't this guy just say he's not following these idiotic rules? He's just as much at fault as the society as a whole.

 
At 2:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding not blaming Judaism, I do agree with Shlomo. It might be surprising that a heretic tells you not to give up Judaism. But not really. Some religious people are genuine, and for some it is just a "lifestyle". But there is no heretic lifestyle. A heretic has to be genuine. If he just wanted a lifestyle, he could make things easier on himself and either become religious or atheist.

If you are actually going to tell your wife that you are not religious anymore, I would be interested in hearing what happens. But really, you are going to be non-religious because a lot of people are greedy? What about all the teachings that you learned??? Did you actually believe them? If yes, how does people's greed negate them? And if no, was it all just a "lifestyle"? In that case, by all means, get out as quick as you can. But be forewarned -- a lot of people are greedy out here too. So don't be disappointed.

I am reminded of the holy half shekel. The rich shall not give more and the poor shall not give less! It is a travesty that the rich give huge amounts and the poor are forced to follow suit.

 
At 5:02 PM , Blogger VOS IZ NEIAS said...

keep up the good work

 
At 3:00 PM , Blogger Goldie said...

About 90% of the world is phony anyhow.

Ditto.

 
At 12:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with SL on this. There's a lot of "standardization" of gifts & tchotchkes in the "heimishe" community. I saw this when my bro got hitched and a little when I did, too. It doesn't come close to the rampant materialism that permeates the less frum community. Compare a shas and etrog box to a "typical American" bar/bat mitzvah

Ben Sorer Moreh

 
At 10:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't Country Yossi the leader of the rock band Country Yossi un di Fishelach?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home