November 17, 2005

Bitchin Bout Birthdays

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

“There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it.” George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950, "Man and Superman" (1903)

As a child I heard it said, “Be suspicious of anyone who does you a favor you neither need nor ask for.” There was a prevailing attitude that most people have ulterior motives for their actions, sometimes based in guilt or, most likely, they are trying to hustle you in the process. This hyperbolic cynicism regarding human interactions is still alive and well, in spite of my acknowledging that this borderline paranoia is often misplaced. I also realized that those who promoted such an attitude were more or less projecting their own inner machinations than offering a true representation of reality. I was doing nice things for others simply out of love or friendship and there were no ulterior motives other than for the happiness of the people I cared about. Why wouldn’t others do the same?

Any woman daring enough to be in a relationship with me will tell you that I am not always the easiest person to live with. In my own mind, I am not too demanding or high maintenance, though I can be a lot of emotional work because of my moodiness. I don’t ask that people fulfill mundane tasks for me i.e. cooking, cleaning, anal sex, money laundering, brain surgery, etc. I do, however, have a list of things that I ask not be done on my behalf, or at least not without my input. I assume that if you love or like someone that you would not insist on doing things for them that they don’t want or like. It’s called respecting the others persons wishes. I also won’t demand anyone leap off buildings or performs miracles on my behalf. Quite the opposite is true! I would be angry if someone did! If one can accomplish such amazing feats, there are others on this planet more in need and more worthy of them than I. Don’t waste it on me. I’m doing fine.

This applies year round. Birthdays included. No excuses.

Now I realize that asking some people not to do something they think is required or nice to do is like asking them to shoot a puppy at point blank range in public. Normal people (I’m not one of those) enjoy what most other people enjoy. There is nothing wrong with that. These people, however, cannot seem to comprehend that during holidays, birthdays, or when I’m just not in the right state of mind for camaraderie, that they need to leave me the f*ck alone. Solitude and quiet is the gift I desire for my birthday. If you care about what I want, especially when considering that it requires only a passive effort on your part and no expenditure, then please do as I ask. Is it that hard?

(Number 1 on my list of things not to do is: Don’t make me enjoy something that I don’t want to enjoy. It is likely that I will end up enjoying it, and then you’ll have made me feel awkward for not having enjoyed it until now. )

I did not have birthday parties growing up. In my family it wasn’t done, and I never missed them. I didn’t go to birthday parties of other kids either. I think those parties are stupid, and nothing more than an excuse to demand unwarranted sacrifices from other people. The mere fact that I have survived for yet another abstract stretch of psychological construct (considering my personality that’s a miracle) does not entitle me to any honors. All I have done is inhale, exhale, and consume consistently enough over the past year to maintain an active level of consciousness.

Now, I don’t mind being remembered once a year by those who seldom see me, and I’m learning to make accommodation for those who love me and those who send money. Birthday parties and gifts are not required. Cards are not really necessary. I don’t need a cake or any stupid party hats. I don’t need any of it. (However, gifts of sex, money, or marijuana are accepted year-round and for any reason.)

For those of you who love me and those who wonder why they love me, thank you for thinking about me and being my friend. There is never a time that I take that love and caring for granted, though these sympathies appear to be forming a disturbing pattern. As one of my friends said, “I’m going to celebrate your birthday just to piss you off!” I get that a lot. It apparently causes a great deal of joy to other people when they can push my buttons. I think I will be spreading a lot of ‘joy’ this year.

Things could be worse.

7 Comments:

At 12:02 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

Hey Shlomo, for someone who wants peace and quiet, it certainly is funny that you would broadcast the fact of your birthday all over the blogosphere.

Enjoy your day. (BTW, where should I mail the nickel bag?)

 
At 1:25 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Tamara,

I KNEW someone was going to point that out soon enough. This is, however, the safest place to vent.

re: the nickel bag..save it for a rainy day and when you fire up, think of me.

 
At 3:56 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

“Most modern calendars mar the sweet simplicity of our lives by reminding us that each day that passes is the anniversary of some perfectly uninteresting event.” (Oscar Wilde)

 
At 5:57 PM , Blogger Hoezentragerin said...

Shlomo,I share the same sentiments on Bdays.
If it was up to me, "celebrate" each birthday with a mini funeral. As the years role on, let the funeral parties get bigger and better until.....

 
At 10:18 PM , Blogger Almost Cinderella said...

Shlomo, Nice to meet you. I wish you long life and a continuous flood of ideas (whew...I didn't mention either *B* -word! ;)

 
At 7:12 AM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

HT...I always enjoy a good wake. Much more intersting than a shiva!

Cinderella...TY! You 2!

I received many calls and birthday wishes from friends, and few relatives. They know exactly how to avoid my giving them 'please don't call me on my birthday speech', by having their pernicious (albeit cutely pernicious) offspring call me and sing happy birthday over the phone. How do you get mad when a two-year old with a big grin calls his uncle?

Things could be worse. I will now have to find some way to get even. Perhaps by buying him the noisiest toys available and NOT include the batteries!

 
At 6:47 AM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

IM,

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

The exact date of my birth remains secret so that it may be argued over centuries from now whereupon the various religious cults spawned from my prophetic guidance and wisdom wage holy war on each other to establish the exact moment of the blessed event.

I'll give you a clue. My brother's birthday is one day after mine, ten years apart.

Kol Tuv

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home