March 19, 2005

Yevgeny Yevtushenko



If you have not yet discovered the amazing work of this Soviet Dissident poet, you have been missing out on a huge chunk of literary greatness. Yevtushenko’s realism and emotion are unmatched, no matter what the subject he encounters.

Among Yevtushenko’s works might be something that some of you will recognize. I reason I chose to post this particular work should be obvious.

Babi Yar

No monument stands over Babi Yar.

A drop sheer as a crude gravestone.

I am afraid.

Today I am as old in years

as all the Jewish people.

Now I seem to be

a Jew.

Here I plod through ancient Egypt.

Here I perish crucified, on the cross,

and to this day I bear the scars of nails.

I seem to be

Dreyfus.

The Philistine

is both informer and judge.

I am behind bars.

Beset on every side.

Hounded,

spat on,

slandered.

Squealing, dainty ladies in flounced Brussels lace

stick their parasols into my face.

I seem to be then

a young boy in Byelostok.

Blood runs, spilling over the floors.

The barroom rabble-rousers

give off a stench of vodka and onion.

A boot kicks me aside, helpless.

In vain I plead with these pogrom bullies.

While they jeer and shout,

"Beat the Yids. Save Russia!"

some grain-marketeer beats up my mother.

0 my Russian people!

I know

you

are international to the core.

But those with unclean hands

have often made a jingle of your purest name.

I know the goodness of my land.

How vile these anti-Semites-

without a qualm

they pompously called themselves

the Union of the Russian People!

I seem to be

Anne Frank

transparent

as a branch in April.

And I love.

And have no need of phrases.

My need

is that we gaze into each other.

How little we can see

or smell!

We are denied the leaves,

we are denied the sky.

Yet we can do so much --

tenderly

embrace each other in a darkened room.

They're coming here?

Be not afraid. Those are the booming

sounds of spring:

spring is coming here.

Come then to me.

Quick, give me your lips.

Are they smashing down the door?

No, it's the ice breaking ...

The wild grasses rustle over Babi Yar.

The trees look ominous,

like judges.

Here all things scream silently,

and, baring my head,

slowly I feel myself

turning gray.

And I myself

am one massive, soundless scream

above the thousand thousand buried here.

I am

each old man

here shot dead.

I am

every child

here shot dead.

Nothing in me

shall ever forget!

The "Internationale," let it

thunder

when the last anti-Semite on earth

is buried forever.

In my blood there is no Jewish blood.

In their callous rage, all anti-Semites

must hate me now as a Jew.

For that reason

I am a true Russian!

2 Comments:

At 2:41 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Kotfu,

I am very much a classical music fan and regularly attend the Detroit Symphony. I will put that on my wish list.

Thanks!

His poem about the Blue Fox is has to be the saddest and most metaphoric piece of all, though I don't really think that Yevtushenko ever intends there to be one.

 
At 3:26 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

I should have said 'attended'. Now that I think of it, it's been at least few years since I've been there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home