March 17, 2006

When Pink Makes Me Blue : A Rant and a Half

Q: What makes men chase women they have no intention of marrying?

A: The same urge that makes dogs chase cars they have no intention of driving.

The question is only a question if marriage is the goal. In most scenarios, the man (or woman) is only interested in having a good time and then maybe sex. Marriage is not the only reason to date. I realize the question was posed by a frumme yid, so one has to consider the source. Let’s stick to marriage.

The assumption is made that a religious Jewish woman won’t hunt or chase a potential mate. My experience betrays this. Women, and I include shikzas, too, are not innocent bystanders or passive players in this game of love and marriage. Many know exactly what they want before they meet it and, unlike the big game hunter, they won’t settle for a two-pointer. Women are just more subtle. The man carries a gun and stalks around the forest in disguise as a something innocuous and safe, perhaps a tree or shrub to fool his prey. The woman, on the other hand, lays a perfect trap that only catches a very specific kind of prey. She only shows up later to pick up her ‘kill.’

Men, on the other hand, aren’t as discriminating. Unless there are rules about what they are allowed to shoot, they might just fire upon anything that happens by, be it a doe, fawn, or fellow hunter. A lot of guys can’t tell the difference between a good woman and a bad one, in particular those raised in religious Jewish homes. In my childhood, the good and the bad were separated only by their sectarian affiliation, and even that didn’t really matter. As one Rabbi so eloquently put it, “They’re all pink inside.” To say that a girl or a boy is quality material depends a good deal upon impressions based on the child’s molding themselves to the norms of the community, but has no bearing on their real personalities. It is assumed if they follow the rules, then they must not be crazy.

Now I was told that my ex-wife was of good midos, chinuch, and yichus. Question should have been asked “According to whom?” First of all, too many people refrain from loshen hara when it counts, and if there is something not so good to say about a potential shidduch, the time to say it is before the chasuna and not afterwards. Secondly, her family couldn’t be counted on to tell the truth because they were obviously biased. The bias has a few possible causes; they are ignorant of her faults, they don’t see her faults as faults per se, or they fully acknowledge her faults and cannot wait to find a sucker willing to marry their darling little machsheyfa so they can show the world she’s not such a crazy bitch after all. That accomplishment vindicates them from suspicion of being lousy parents. Thirdly, how well would the shadchan or Rov know her? Exactly how many hours did they spend with this woman to know?

I suspect a lot of shidduchim come about through the very discriminate application loshen hara or rechilus. You hear a story about Yossele being a little ‘vihld’ or Chanele having an ‘episode’ and all of the sudden you have a shidduch in the making. Screw up enough and you can be guaranteed that your spouse will be crazier than you are. If you are known to make trouble, more trouble will be arranged to make your entire life an abject hell. It is rare that a shidduch is made in order to ‘straighten out’ another by marriage to a better person. That is if one can define ‘better.’

Theorem of Orthodox Jewish marriage:

Problem child + Problem child = Good marriage (der Aybeshter zol helfen)

Problem child x Problem child = Problems skip a generation (say lots of tehillim just in case)

Problem child – Problem child = It must be his fault! Always his fault!

I’m actually still quite mad about the choice of shidduchim I was offered. What does that say about how my mishpocho viewed me that they would allow their son to marry such a machsheyfa? Didn’t anyone know the mechutanim and their meshugassin? What were they thinking? Did they think that I was going to straighten her out? Or was it the other way around? Was my father so afraid that I was going to elope with some Puerto Rican chica from my English Lit. course that he rushed to accept any shidduch offered?

Many shidduchim rely on the reputation of the family the person comes from. I was raised pretty much as an only child so I missed out on the phenomena of having brothers and sisters around. Fact is, that men and women are treated differently everywhere, including religious Jewish women. Some parents and communities have very different perceptions and norms for women than they do men, in addition to the natural affinity and over protectiveness that is showered upon girls. Even goyishe parents do this.

This problem of reputations becomes compounded by the simple fact that you can’t tell personality by parents, money, by intelligence, good looks, or where they went to school as to the real personality of the person. Having the above mentioned things will make life easier for anyone, but it’s no guarantee of sanity. Lots of people are chameleons; they change colors quickly going from home to office to shul. A big tzadik in public could very well be a child abuser at home. The shmendrik with the worn out tallis gadol and the frumpy wife might just be producing offspring that are tremendously affectionate and caring people.

Unfortunately, I was raised with few women in my childhood, and the few there were, despite their overwhelming love and influence, were aged and none survived into my adolescent years. I didn’t have the coaching or the knowledge to make a good choice for myself. I had to rely on others, and they let me down. Big time. All I knew was that women, in the words of the Rov, were all ‘pink’ inside. If I only knew now what I didn’t know then.

I’ve always wondered how he knew that?

4 Comments:

At 3:19 PM , Blogger Foilwoman said...

And I thought going out on dates was tough, but having read that, I think trying to actually get to know people* is easier than relying on others' judgments. Especially when one is older. I certainly didn't make great partner selection decisions in my teens and twenties (or even early thirties). Now I think (I hope) I know myself better and the people around me better.

Of course, I only understood about 70% of what you wrote, so I might have missed the whole point, not speaking Yiddish and all.

*Not with marriage in mind, with the idea of seeing if I'd like to spend more time with them. After I've spend lots more time with them, I might begin to think about marriage. After my divorce is final, that is.

 
At 6:48 AM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Foil,

The main point was that I HAD to rely on others to make that decision for me. Not only was the system set up that , but people in it are encouraged to trust the decisions of others.

Religious Jewish matchmakers are not just dating services; they see themselves as doing the work of God. My complaint is that (at least back in the day) these people deliberately told lies and withheld truths. That deceit essentially ruined two lives.

My ex wife never lied to me about who she was. She never said it in words, but her action spoke volumes. OTHERS, who I trusted did the lying for her.

Worst of all, my own father, who should have been protecting me, went along with this becuase he was scared that his college educated son would end up with a non-Jewish girlfriend. He allowed that part of my life to be ruined.

I didn't know any better to defy them.

After leaving religion, I went through a couple of phases in love. First, I fell madly in love with the wrong woman, but it was FUN as hell while it lasted. I admit, 15 years later I still think about her. I went through a period of reclusiveness immediately after her.

After that ended, I went on lots of dates, had lots of fun, engaged in plenty of sex, and carried on overlapping relationships. I have a European attitude about relationships anyhow. I don't feel one bit of guilt over sex and fun.

At some point, however, I came to the decision that I wanted more than someone I could sleep with. I needed someone that I wanted to wake up next to every day. At that point I quit being a 'playa', and all that talk of sexual freedom and diversity disappeared. Not as a moral value (I don't pass judgments on others in that regard), rather a reflection of my personal tastes.

I don't know if will marry again. Cohabitation is fine.

There are three things that I will not accept in a woman:

1)If I catch her praying to any deity whatsoever, it's over. I do not tolerate anyone who wishes upon a star, a god, angels, or the Psychic Hotline.

2)Dishonesty is a deal breaker. If she lies or steals from me it's over that minute. No excuses. What little I have I earned and it is valuable to me.

3)If she panics over the small stuff and cannot communicate rationally in an argument. No drama queens please. One melodramatic to a household, and in my home, that job is already filled. (I'm working on it.)

Oddly, enough infidelity is NOT a deal breaker for me. I have, in my past not been faithful, and I understand the needs and desires of those who are. It would be like throwing stones in glass house. As long as I know about it I'm ok. Now even that has limits. If I lose her love and her time, then of course, it becomes another matter.

 
At 3:16 PM , Blogger Almost Cinderella said...

Shlomo, the more I read about you here on your blog, the wider I smile :D

I liked your 3 requirements. Good thinking; my list was always too long. But when you know what target you're aiming for, you're more likely to hit it.

If I believed in luck, I might wish you some *wink ;)

 
At 11:40 AM , Blogger Lebatron said...

Women are something else, ya know. Hard to figure out what they want and don't want. If you're having trouble with women, I've posted an article "Pointers for the Dunces" going through some DOs and DON'Ts. Check it out, you may learn something.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home