May 05, 2006

Readership Down

This blog is becoming less popular than President GW Bush at a Lesbian Pride Peace Rally. I won't stop speaking my mind, but I wonder if it's just burn-out on the part of readers or does the subject matter simply bore the living crap out of everyone in the blogosphere.

I realize the religious Jews, for the most part, will only talk or read about relevant religious Jewish subjects. Since my apostacy is no longer a novelty event either, any mention of who I was then or what I subsequently morphed into and events in between have no attraction to those readers. Christians love to argue with Atheists, and the fire-breathing Atheists (you know who you are) speak enough on the pertinent issues that I really have nothing at all to add aside from perhaps a scientific explanation here and there. Frankly, I'm tired of arguing about it.

I do love politics and history and how it plays out in societal trends. Politics is, in part, how people project their personal philosophy out into the world. Politics is not, at least to me, only about winners and losers. The four "P's" (as I call them) always operate in tandem and every idea should be expressed in relation to all of them as a whole. They are physics, philosophy, psychology, and politics. Physics is the natural reality. Philosophy translates that reality into a thought about life. Psychology shapes our relationship with that reality. Politics is how we project that understanding and passion out into society and the world. There is a progression from one level to another, though I feel at times many people work this system backwards.

I write about politics only to get at the core of who we really are as people and what we value most. I talk a little about economics because money is like love in many ways. Like love, no one is admired in the real world for shunning wealth. Money talk is always controversial. Ask a person about love and they have lots of advice for you. Ask them about money and you will never hear the end of it. It is no small coincidence that psychics, tarot readers, etc., are asked more questions about love and money than anything else. If you want to anger a man into a fight, criticize his wife or his profession.

Maybe what I write has too much fire. Maybe I try to cover too much and end up saying too little. I don't know. Some subjects are surely beaten to death. Maybe the blogosphere is going the way of the personal website or the homepage. Maybe I am redundant.

Input is appreciated. I cannot promise, however, that any advice will be taken.

Kol Tuv

13 Comments:

At 7:59 PM , Blogger Jewish Atheist said...

I read you through bloglines unless I want to comment, so that might not show up. Probably other people use RSS readers, too.

 
At 8:15 PM , Blogger Foilwoman said...

I think it's partly that you aren't a single issue blogger. Single issue blogs get great followings, and people keep coming back for more of the same. I know my blog goes up and down (divorce, money, parenting, and sex are the big reader-attractors on my blog, but it changes), and I know I lose readers when I get really political for a while and then go back to "how to date when you're separted" and then switch to "Is there a god?" and then "conservatives: intelligent life or no?". Should one signle issue blog? I don't think so (unless you want to do so). Don't worry about it. Write about what interests you.

 
At 10:46 PM , Blogger Baconeater said...

Here you go. Now, I'm not trying to brag here and I'm only in it for ego. No advertisements, but my readership has gone up tremendously. Lately 250-450 a day on average. I've had a day with 2500 hits as well when a popular science blog linked a video I have on my site. Two days ago I had over 1000 vistors mainly because a Swedish bulletin board linked a video on my site.
Here is some help for you.

 
At 11:48 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

JA,

You may be correct re: RSS. Thanks.

IM,

I still have lots of stories of my travels around the planet that haven't made it to print. Thanks for the input. Fact is, I'm leaning toward writing more poetry these days.

Foil,

I can't do single-topic. I would get tired of my own thoughts if I were ever that focused. Single topic people have control issues.

BECJ,

I am one of those who visits your blog daily. TY. For me, as a former science teacher and activist, I have already had the arguments a billion times. I actually avoid them now. You do a great job and like Jewish Atheist, there is always substance to bite on.

Kol Tuv

 
At 10:13 AM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Kiddush,

Gadol Hador has an awesome blog. It seems that the frumm life offers many topics of conversation and complaint.

Gadol Hador, like many frummies who blog, live the lifestyle as it is RIGHT NOW. Myself, on the other hand, haven't set foot in a shul in 15 years, let alone live within a religious community. I can tell stories about my religious life, but they are like ancient history. It's nostalgic, but not relevant. Times have changed.

I prefer now to be more personal than satirical or critical. I went through the latter and got that frustration out of my system.

It's a good suggestion though. I have thought about writing an updated version of Pirkei Avos, but just can't think of catchy title for it.

Kol Tuv

 
At 1:53 PM , Blogger haKiruv said...

I read your blog through Google Reader using your xml feed and you probably don't track that.

 
At 9:32 AM , Blogger kasamba said...

SL; I would've commented on your last post, but I'm so apolitical that I didn't get it at all!

I think you are a brilliant man who expresses himself beautifully through writing and I for one looooove your blog! Keep it up!!!!
(Did the cat come back?)

 
At 2:25 PM , Blogger dbs said...

I don't know if this will help you with readership, but I most enjoy the posts about your own journey. You have a lot to say and to share about the process, and not many people write about it (with skill). I'm more interested in your musings about happiness and your re-exploration of your feelings about your father than in your rants about politics. I do like many of your vertlach but I enjoy them more when they relate back to something which you are thinking or feeling. You've only written one detailed post (as far as I know) about your divorce and the situation with your kids, and it would be nice to hear more (though I guess that I have trouble writing about that issue as well). And, of course, the chicks really dig all the cat stuff, so you’ve got to keep all that going.

 
At 8:14 PM , Blogger M-n said...

I like your blog. I read it mostly via RSS, so that may not show up, but I do appreciate it.

 
At 8:38 PM , Blogger Hoezentragerin said...

I'm with DBS. Though I read most of your posts, I like the personal ones best.

 
At 11:45 PM , Blogger The Jewish Freak said...

I am a big fan. I have been away recently due to my own busyness. My only criticism is that my eyes glaze over when you get into your loony lefty rants. I agree with your other readers, the personal stuff is the best.

 
At 8:16 AM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Left wing looney rants? Me? LOL

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger YS said...

Every once in a while I make it back here to see how you are doing. I agree with KCG that the popular topics are "hot" ones: dissatisfaction with OJ and sex. Always a sure-fire win.

Thank you for not limiting yourself to junk like that. There will always be someone to be pissed off. Say what you want to say. People will read what they want to read. If those populations overlap... Mah tov.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home