December 14, 2005

A Mob's Refrain

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

An eye for an eye we people demand

For justice must be served!

Hang them on high

Or let them just fry

They get what they deserve!

They must receive as they meted out

Measure upon each measure

Please dole death out fast

It’s come time at last!

Retribution brings us such pleasure!

Life for life we must now avenge

Justice soon fulfilled

From the prison cell

And directly to hell

Let the guilty blood be spilled!

Mercy and compassion remain

Nothing more than weak-kneed drivel

Let this dictum ring true

That the revenge we now do

Will keep our nation civil!

Clemencies and pardons never!

So cease this idle talking

Bring them near

So that we may better hear

The sound of dead men walking

(SL)

6 Comments:

At 7:21 PM , Blogger Hoezentragerin said...

I disagree with the premise, but I love the poem!

 
At 11:38 PM , Blogger Shlomo Leib Aronovitz said...

Just in case my 'premise' isn't clear....I OPPOSE capital punishment. The poem comes from the crude snippets that I gather from its proponents.

TY for the love HT.

 
At 10:16 AM , Blogger Tamara said...

Sorry Shlomo, but I have no problem at all with capital punishment for heinous crimes.

Not too long ago here in CT, a serial killer was executed. He had raped and murdered a number of women. His youngest victim was 15. There was no question of his guilt. He admitted to the crimes (he even helped police find one of his victim's remains), and there was evidence linking him to the murders.

His victims experienced horrifying deaths. He brought endless grief to their families. He deserved to die.

 
At 1:03 PM , Blogger Robin said...

Excellent post sl.

In my view capital punishment says more about those who advocate it than those who are committed to it (after all, it is well known that innocent people are, at times, condemned & executed). I also have a sneaking suspician that killing murderers is letting them off easy.

I dunno about anyone else, but I would rather be dead than to be looked up in any kind of prison for the rest of my life.

 
At 1:30 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

"but I would rather be dead than to be locked up in any kind of prison for the rest of my life."

G-stan, the above is easy to write if you're not in that position. Many people on death row fight very hard not to be executed. They are cavalier about taking others' lives, but cling ferociosly to their own life. It seems they think being alive, even in prison, is preferable to death.

 
At 3:01 PM , Blogger Goldie said...

"but I would rather be dead than to be locked up in any kind of prison for the rest of my life."

I have mixed feelings about capital punishment, but I don't think it's our job to find just retribution for murderers and the like. However, I do believe that such people need to be removed from society, and capital punishment seems to be a better alternative than actually paying the living expenses of murderers while they are held in prison...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home